Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Father's Dragon

Most everyday I read to the kids.  The experts say it's one of the best things you can do for your kids, so hopefully I get at least one thing right in this whole parenting thing. Currently we're reading My Father's Dragon by Ruth Chrisman Gannett.  Another homeschooling mom passed it on to us and I thought it would be a good starting place to transition from picture books to chapter books.  It's relativity short, only eight seven pages and ten chapters.  My goal is to increase Makenna's attention span and encourage her in vocabulary and language skills, but more importantly to foster a love of reading for well written literature.

I wanted to see how Makenna was doing following the story and if she was fully understanding it.  I had her narrate back to me what we have read so far, I was surprised to find out she understood it quite well.  I also had her draw a picture of the Dragon using the description found in a paragraph.

Connor on the other hand didn't really care for books, he just wanted to play with his trucks and trains. Never mind with that sitting down stuff!  So I began to pray about it.  My boy was very different from my girls who loved to sit on my lap and have me read to them, so of course I was a little concerned.  Not many days after my quick prayer, I noticed he wanted to look at a picture on his little board book.  Now he reads his books more than he plays with his trucks. :)  This is how he goes to sleep every night.  We keep his draw filled with interesting new material and then he drifts off to la la land in a pile of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment