Friday, February 25, 2011

Little Homemakers in Training

Ever since the girls were babies, I have always included them in the cooking and baking.  They would sit in their high chair next to me as I prepared dinners.  As they grew they would pull over a chair and help dump measured ingredients into bowls.  When I felt they were ready, I would allow then to stir the simmering soup on the stove or sauteing vegetables, of course I'm always right beside them.  As they grew in their obedience and gross motor skills, I would allow them to cut soft foods with a butter knife.  Now, Elysia at age eight and Makenna at age five, are fully capable of helping me with most of the kitchen duties.  Not only do they cook but I've trained them to help clean up.  Elysia is able to load and unload the dishwasher by herself , although this is still my job on most nights.  Elysia has meals that she has learned to prepare alone with no help.  When she is finished I will put it in the oven for her.  Often when I make the week's menu, each of the girls will choose a new meal to make with me.  Not only do each of them learn a new meal, they also get to have one on one time with Mommy.  From time to time people will ask why I do this?  I truly have a passion for cooking and baking and wanted my girls to feel the same way, and it worked!  The girls are continuously asking to make something and they truly enjoy it. (As I'm writing this Elysia is begging me to allow her to make some cookies.) Not to mention it's an important life skill that they will one day need.  It's also a great way to teach basic math skills, nutrition, how to read and follow directions, and it encourages a sense of accomplishment of their behalf. I'm so grateful the Lord has blessed me with my beautiful daughters, I'm just having so much fun!  I can see the benefit of my labor as Elysia often allows Connor to help her bake.  I see her teaching him how to dump measured ingredients into a bowl and stir, not only did I teach her cooking skills but how to prepare to be a homemaking mommy.  I can only depend on the Lord to teach me how to be a loving mother as I train my little girls to one day cherish motherhood as well.

Makenna making brownies and Elysia preparing salad.

Elysia's famous pizza!

2 comments:

  1. I was excited to find that you have a blog, too! I loved this post--it was a good reminder and convicting for me, that I need to be training the kids more. They help a lot (dumping in ingredients) but I haven't yet tried teaching them to cook something all by themselves! I should start working on this with Sam, because he can read pretty well now. The girls look like they are having so much fun and being a big help, too!

    ReplyDelete